Following the reuse of most of the parts of the previous file server for the new Plex client PC, I decided to upgrade the parts for the file server. I wanted a processor that would have enough CPU power to handle Plex, and a motherboard with enough connections to handle my need for storage.
The updated server has now the following parts :
- Computer Case: Lian-Li PC-V358 (reused)
- Power Supply: Silverstone ST60F-PS
- Motherboard: Asrock H97M Pro4
- Processor: Intel Core i3 4370
- Ram: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) (reused)
- System Hard Drive: Western Digital Blue 1TB
- Storage Hard Drives: 3 x Western Digital Red 3TB (reused)
- Storage Hard Drives: 2 x Western Digital Red 6TB
Cost: 900 $
My setups consists of one hard drive for the operating system, and 5 for storage purposes.
For the storage, I have one hard drive dedicated to store the backups of all the computers we possess, and four hard drives in RAID1 for the files.
The server is on idle most of the time, and consumes 36W idle.